Fier de collaborer à la "Out Campaign" - Proud participant in the "Out Campaign" - Go take a look

The Out Campaign: Scarlet Letter of Atheism

2010/09/01

Suppose I break into your house...

Inspired from a 'Letter to the Editor". The writer cuts to the quick and explains things better than all the baloney you hear on TV. Here's the letter.

START
Recently, large demonstrations have taken place across the country protesting the fact that parliament is finally addressing the issue of illegal immigration. Certain people are angry that  Canada might actually want to protect its own borders, might make it harder to sneak into this country and, once here, make it harder (as an illegal immigrant) to stay indefinitely.

Let me see if I correctly understand the thinking behind these protests.

Let's say I break into your house. Then, when you discover me in your house, you insist that I leave. But I say, 'I've made all the beds and washed the dishes and done the laundry and swept the floors; I've  done all the things you don't like to do. I'm hard-working and honest (except for when I broke into your house).

According to the protesters, not only must you let me stay, you must add me to your family's insurance plan, educate my kids, and provide other benefits to me and to my family (my husband will do your yard work)  because he too is hard-working and honest, except for that breaking-in  part.

If you try to call the police or force me out, I will call my friends who will picket your house carrying signs that proclaim my illegal right to be there. It's only fair, after all, because you have a nicer house than I do, and I'm just trying to better myself. I'm hard-working and honest, um, except for well, you know. And what a deal it is for me!! I now have a better life and I like it here.

I live in your house, contributing only a fraction of the cost of my keep, and there is nothing you can do about it without being accused of selfishness, prejudice and being an anti-housebreaker. Oh yeah, and I want you to learn my language so you can communicate with me!  English is a little hard for me to learn. You should also allow me to vote - in my own language, since I live in your house!

Why can't people see how ridiculous this?
END

Now my bit.

I know that this may be seen as "racist", "right wing", and such terms. I think all civilized societies should, in fact MUST, welcome refugees and people in danger. Furthermore, Canada (and the U. S. in fact) were built around immigrants who wanted to improve their lot and give their children a chance to grow, a chance they felt they did not have in their country.

My complaint is with ILLEGALS. People who sneak in, who come here with a visitor's visa and who stay illegally. People who claim they are in physical danger in their country (we have recent cases with people from Shri Lanka) and are received here but GO BACK TO THEIR COUNTRY FOR VACATIONS!!

Now is it right wing to expect that they NOT be treated the same as landed immigrants or naturalized, (or better still born here), Canadians?

End of rant.

Any opinions?

No comments:

Post a Comment